Go to Main Menu Go to Main Content

The Ceasefire Agreement

Ceasefire Talks and the Repetition of Battles
The ceasefire talks began on July 10, 1951 and continued until the ceasefire agreement was signed on July 27, 1953.
The UN and North Korean forces took on fierce battles even while they were in negotiations for ceasefire.
The UN forces carried out military operations as a way to break out of unresolved issues in the process of the ceasefire talks and to force the communists to accept the conditions of ceasefire.
Meanwhile, the communist forces took on the battles in a bid to gain control over the ceasefire talks by displaying their military power.
As the two sides changed their policies and decided to resolve the issues through dialogue, they came to discuss ceasefire.
However, the ceasefire talks broke off several times due to the conflict of interest between the two sides.
The Final Attack of Chinese Forces
The communist forces carried out an intensive attack with a large number of troops at night of July 13 to cause a serious damage to the South Korean forces and fight against the South Korean government's claim for the advance northward and its opposition to ceasefire.
The South Korean forces stood on the defensive as the Chinese forces carried out the human wave attack.
However, they continued the counteroffensive and regained about a half of the region they lost during the battle.
The Conclusion of Ceasefire Agreement
President Lee Seung-man decided not to sign on the ceasefire agreement as he planned to hold the United Nations accountable for the situation after the ceasefire.
On July 27, 1953, representatives of the UN forces and the communist forces signed the ceasefire agreement.
The ceasefire talks were the longest ever in the world history.
Over the course of the ceasefire talks, the two sides held 765 rounds of meetings and finally concluded the agreement two years after the beginning of the talks.
However, the ceasefire agreement only brought hostile actions to a halt, which means that the war was on a halt, but technically was not over.
Therefore, since the ceasefire agreement in 1953, the Ceasefire Commission, which was established according to the agreement, has monitored whether or not the parties concerned observe the ceasefire agreement.